It is one of the most popular hot baverages in world and especially in Nepal. A cup of milk tea (chiya) in morning gives refreshing feel and put you on track of long hard day. It can be prepared with milk or milk powder and various types of plain or flavoured tea leaf powders. This recipe prepares tea using milk, sugar, tea leaf powder and water.
Preparation Time: 2 minutes
Coocking Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 2 servings (2 cups)
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk
- 2 teaspoons tea leaf powder
- 1/4 cup (approx. 60 ml) water
- 3 teaspoons sugar
1. Boil water in a saucepan.
2. Add sugar and tea leaf powder in it and boil it for 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
3. Add milk and boil it over medium flame for 6-7 minutes or until bubble starts to raise. You will see the change in color of the tea from milky shade to brown shade when it is ready.
4. Turn off the gas and strain tea in cups.
Tips and variations:
- If you like more creamy tea, then avoid water and use only milk. Mix milk, sugar and tea leaf powder and boil them over low flame for 6-7 minutes.
- If you do not like it too creamy, then use more water compared with milk.
- Add ginger, mint, cinnamon and cardamom while preparing it for nice flavorful tea.
Taste: Sweet and hot.
Serving Ideas: Serve it in the morning with breakfast or in the afternoon with evening snacks.